The Sainsbury Archive is held in the Sainsbury Study Centre at the Museum of London Docklands. Our address is:
The Sainsbury Archive
Museum of London Docklands
No. 1 Warehouse
West India Quay
London E14 4AL
tel: 020 7001 9852
For any questions regarding the Sainsbury Archive please get in contact with the team, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
The Search Room
We welcome researchers who wish to view items in the collection on pre-booked research visits. The majority of material from the Sainsbury Archive is accessible in the Search Room by appointment.
The Search Room is located at the Museum of London Docklands.
The Search Room is open by appointment on Thursdays 10.30am-12:30pm and 1:30-3.30pm
Please note that you need to book an appointment in advance, as we are unable to accommodate drop-in users. The spaces can get booked up at busy times, so please bear this in mind if you are working to a deadline.
Making an appointment
To make an appointment please fill out the Research Visit Request Form. To help us best deal with your request, you should be as specific as possible about what you wish to see and why and email it back to us. We will then contact you to confirm the appointment.
Conditions of access
On your first visit you must bring two forms of original identification, copies are not acceptable. Please select one from each of the two lists below. The archive will not make copies of these documents.
Proof of name with signature
- Driving licence
- Bank card
- Credit card
- National ID card
- Police/Customs/Home Office/warrant card
- Forces ID card
- Sea /Air Masters licence
- Government/local council staff ID
Proof of address
- Utility bill
- Bank/building society statement
- Credit card statement
- Council tax bill
- Council payment book
- Council rent card or tenancy agreement
- HM Revenue and Customs statement
- National ID card with address
- Driving licence with address
- Home Office permit to stay
- University certificate for hall of residence (stamped and signed by institution)
- TV licence
- Firearms licence
- Home insurance policy
- Benefit/Family Credit Book
- Pay slip (where employer’s and employee’s addresses are stated)
- State pension book
All visits will also be subject to the terms published on the reverse of the Research Visit Request form, which you will be asked to sign on arrival.
Search room facilities
The following facilities are available in the Search Room.
- Selected online resources including journals and relevant websites
- Comfortable chairs and reading desks
- Free leaflets and information sheets
- Power points for personal computers
- Reference library including journals
During your visit you are permitted to make reproductions (photographs, films and photocopies) of items for private study and non-commercial research. Please be aware that it may not be possible to reproduce certain collections because of copyright legislation, handling restrictions or other reasons.
The Sainsbury Archive can provide digital copies of our photographs and documents. To discuss this or for any commercial or media enquiries please contact us.